When you break it down, this was a really simple episode - we had the Claire / Charlie / Desmond storyline, and we had the Search Party get over the security perimeter to the barracks... yet it was a very entertaining episode because both storylines resulted in some progress. We weren't just spinning our wheels for an episode, waiting for next week's big reveals (as I had feared). Instead, we had our Search Party kill Patchy, get over the security perimeter, and Claire learn about Charlie's death warrant courtesy of Desmond. Nothing terribly earth shattering, but we definitely set the stage for next week very nicely.
What do we need to discuss?
- Claire and Jack are brother and sister! But they'll never find out... unless the Others tell them in one of their "I know everything about you" reveals to the characters.
- Claire is a murderer! She clearly was playing the "angst-ridden teen" card, telling her mom that she hated her and wished she was dead... but took it a step farther by crashing her car into an oncoming truck. So we can cross her off our list of "Survivors who haven't killed someone else", which explains why she wouldn't have made the Others' "list". Are any of the Survivors still "clean", or are they all murderers?
- The Others are currently just as trapped as our Survivors. They've lost communications, and now that the homing beacon is out, they can't leave the Island on their submarine - or else they would never be able to get back to the Island... which is clearly something that they would never want.
- The Others know all! Patchy knew full names, just like the other Others. If you assume that he truly was isolated from the other Others at the Flame Hatch, this would either mean that dossiers of each Survivor were distributed to each Other, or they have some mind-reading powers.
- The Others are a freaky cult! They worship a "magnificent one" who isn't Ben - that's gotta be Jacob, right? They talk in terms of being "worthy" or "not worthy" to make "the list" - which is apparently your ticket to enlightenment and Otherville.
- The Others ride bikes and play futbol americano! While they might not know about the Brady Bunch, the fact that they toss the pigskin would seem to indicate American ties. Who Dey!
- Did Locke intentionally kill Patchy to conceal his past? Why did he steal the C-4? What did the preview episode for next week look like he was blowing up something else? It's almost as if he knows what's coming... kinda like the Others seem to know stuff. Is the Island giving him a cheat sheet in exchange for doing its bidding? Are we all overanalyzing this Locke stuff too much? Is he good? Is he evil?
Looks like we'll find out next week! The big reunion between Jack and Kate! Locke meets the Others! CFL meets Alex! Sayid meets Tom! (I don't know why that last one fits, but they seem to be the two remaining characters).
Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't give a shotout to the publication of Friend of the Blog (FOB) Scott "The Reverend" Demange on irreverent sports-website Deadspin this week with his NCAA Tourney write-ups on Wright State (Wrong School) and Xavier University (FU XU). Anyone who can work in a reference to Skyline chili on a sports website deserves a shout out. Good work, FOB Scott.