Brian's One Word Review: Average.
In some ways, my biggest fear came true - with as awesome as the on-Island storyline currently is, it makes the off-Island storyline with the Oceanic Six just seem kinda boring in comparison... and that was the problem with this week for me. Too much time spent with the Oceanic Six and not enough time with our Skipping Survivors. And even when there were really cool concepts in the episode (such as running into themselves from 2004 or running into CFL's crew), there wasn't enough of it to make me consider this episode "awesome". Instead, it was a good setup episode for the upcoming episodes, but not one that there is a ton of stuff to freak out and over-analyze. But there were still a few huge bombshells:
- JIN IS ALIVE! So apparently he has been floating around the water (nearby the Island), pretty much unconcscious to the skipping in time he's been doing since the Freighter blew up. Initially, it feels a little cheap to have Jin survive the explosion, since logic tells us there was no way he would have survived, but I guess we can chalk it up to the whole "the Island won't let you die until your work is done." And what could it possibly need Jin for?
- How about luring Sun back to the Island. Next week's preview makes it clear that Ben lets the cat out of the bag that Jin is alive, thus giving her a reason to go back to the Island. If we assume that the Oceanic Six need to go back to the Island to make everything right in the world, it's reasonable to think that the Island would keep Jin alive to ensure that Sun has a reason to go back.
- Of course, this raises the question of how Ben knows that Jin is alive and on the Island. I guess the easiest answer is "Locke visited him and told him" when he was on his Jeremy Bentham mission to convince the Oceanic Six to come back to the Island. This means that Locke must run into Jin before going to the Orchid, right? Although the scenes from next week made it look like they'll be at the Orchid in next week's episode!
- CFL ran into Jin in 1988 - so why didn't she recognize him when they ran into each other in 2004? Because she went crazy? Or because they never really had much direct interaction? I quick look at Lostpedia's article on CFL only references Jin once - when he, Bernard, and Sayid set off the trap for the Others - and I can't remember many direct conversations between the two. But seriously, there were only like 40 Survivors, and only two were Korean - so Jin should have stood out to CFL, right?
- Ajira Airlines finally makes its official appearance on Lost in the form of a water bottle. But my question is, where did those boats come from? A larger boat? An airplane? Unless the Island really did move in space (putting it closer to civilization), I don't really see those two boats being able to make the journey to the Island. And why would they be attacking our Skipping Survivors? And who were they? With all this time-jumping stuff in play, there are TONS of options here - ranging from people who were following the Freighter explosion to the Oceanic Six once they return to the Island to future versions of our Skipping Survivors - who would be literally shooting on themselves (notice how none of the shots were hitting them? That seemed strange). But why? Many questions to ponder here.
- This week pretty much confirmed that Miles WAS the baby from the season premiere, since Faraday hinted that he had spent some time on the Island before. So Charlotte has spent the most time (at least a few years), followed by Miles (again, years), then Juliet (who has been there for quite some time herself). Is this why Desmond got the same nosebleed when he left the Island? Because he had been there so long? Again, this seems to prove that the bearing you come and go to the Island on is extremely important, and I think the Others know it.
- So Claire's mom turned out to be a red herring (maybe - or just something to distract Kate while Sun steals Aaron), and I don't really see how any of "The Little Prince" stuff tied into this episode. Pretty sneaky, Lost.
- Okay, that's all I've got for now. Discuss!