Brian's One Word Review: Mysterious.
This episode really kicked up the puzzlement (is that a word?) to the point where I don't even know where to start. Here are the things I'll try to wrap my head around before my full analysis.
- Why take these four individuals (Miles, Dan, Charlotte, and Frank) on the "mission"? They were clearly picked for specific reasons by Abbadon. I could see Miles due to his potential ability to communicate with Jacob (but do they even know about Jacob?), Dan because of his knowledge about physics (and in turn, the "unique magnetic properties of the Island"), but what about the other two? Charlotte seems to have stumbled across evidence of Dharma through her archaeology - which brings up a whole other question on how the polar bear got to Tunisia, and Frank has a direct connection to Oceanic Flight 815 - and a reason to not believe that the crash was real. Were they all doubters of the fake crash sent to "disprove it" - or since they were doubters of the fake crash were they sent on basically a suicide mission to get rid of them? So much to digest.
- How did Ben know they were coming? Who is his "mole" on their ship? Why are the Freightors there for him?
- Are the Freightors actually just Dharma, on a mission for payback to Ben for his role in the "purge" of their people? Or do they just know that he knows the most about the Island? Again, how would they know any of this?
- Loved the mention of "taller ghost Walt" and Locke flat out asking about Smokey! Great to see that our Survivors aren't always idiots when the time arises to ask questions.
- Thanks to the ABC preview for next week, smart viewers can now figure out who the fourth member of the Oceanic Six is! I won't mention it now in case you didn't watch the preview, but I will say it's someone I was not expecting... but now I pretty much have my predicted six locked in.
What am I missing? I feel like there was so much in that episode, but sitting here and trying to remember it, I'm just left feeling confused by the whole thing. Definitely enjoyed this episode more than last week!
Full analysis soon. Comments now.