Wednesday, July 11, 2007

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things

It may come as a surprise to some of you, but I do spend a good amount of time thinking and discussing things other than Lost. Here's an example of one of those cases that turned out pretty great...

My friend Scott (he went to Miami, but he's okay) approached me earlier this week with an idea for a Blog Post that involved two of my favorite things in the world (no, not Skyline Chili and puppies - that's kinda nasty) - The Dave Matthews Band and the National Football League.

The task? To assign an DMB song to each NFL team that best represents them. After initially thinking this would be impossible, we actually found that it came pretty easy... and turned out pretty accurate and hilarious.

Probably the only people who will fully appreciate it are the rare combination of people who enjoy the hard hitting action of the NFL (meatheads) with the peaceful grooves of DMB (hippies) - which may just be Scott and myself, actually - but for all the other potential meathead hippies out there, enjoy:

http://ifrevonlyhadabrain.blogspot.com/

If anyone else has any suggestions for any posts, let me know. We're always looking for fun topics for his Blog or mine. Anything to break up the monotony of the work day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome...my favorite team (Eagles) and my favorite DMB song (Halloween) are synched up. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

blog suggestion...how about your NEW ENGAGEMENT?!?!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention, PACKER FAN here, and YES! That is all we do! We knows how to PARTAY!

Anonymous said...

I don'y have any suggestions, but the title of this article just reminds me how much I hate that "My Favorite Things" has been adopted as a Christmas song. It's NOT a Christmas song!

Greg said...

This is cool, Brian. I'm a big Lost and Brian fan, with the significant exception that I'm a hated STEELER fan (grew up in Pittsburgh in the 70's). Now living in Michigan, and a secondary Lions follower (can't say fan as they are just dreadful). I'm also a big DMB fan (tix in hand for this summer) and both songs fit.

Anonymous said...

I think it's hilarious that you think that meathead fratboys are unlikely to listen to crappy fairy-rock like DMB.

Really, that's how they can say that they are "deep."

Brian said...

Go back and re-read the sentence. I actually think that meathead hippies are the only ones who would appreciate matching together DMB songs with NFL teams - not that meatheads don't pretend to like DMB to win chicks or that hippies don't pretend to like the NFL to avoid getting beat up.

Also, did you just call DMB "crappy fairy-rock"? The nerve! I actually prefer the term "wuss rock".

Anonymous said...

Touché!

However, my "crappy fairy-rock" comment still stands. =)

Steve said...

That's cool. I've never been a BIG DMB fan, but I did see him when he used to play the Flood Zone in Richmond, Va... he was a regular.

Now that I listen, I recognize Song #41.. A decent song, I'll have to hear to music to see how it compared to the many many years of waiting for the Colts to win the Super Bowl. No complaints though!

So have hope Brian!(I've kinda thought well of the Bengals since they got those striped helmets(Do you remember "Those tiger stripes keep coming they'll be known from pole to pole.. as the c. bengals going to that SB(1981)".

Mind you, my heart IS and has ALWAYS been with the Colts... but when the Colts moved from Baltimore for Indy, I DID try to pull for another team.. and that team was the Bengals(My friend tried KC), but there is something about that horseshoe that doesn't leave you. (for the Baltimore people, the sickness of seeing your true love with someone else,, which is why it's a wound that won't heal.. ).

When we were so bad in the 80's(Colts) I often pulled for you guys. I remember what I call the "Cold Game" but you may be too young.. that San Diego game that so freaken Cold.

I suffered many Many bad years as a Colts fan.. from 1978-1998, we made the playoffs 3 times. Until we won it this year, I still considered our record from 1999-2005 as nothing without a championship.

Why do I say this? I always enjoy those videos you post about the Bengals. I really liked "where were you". I'm very familiar with those players... but they also remind me, as a big time football fan, of many similar stories my buddies and I tell about the good, the bad, and ugly of days gone by.. and how we went through it all, just like you have.

I waited 30 long years for My Colts to come through, and the longer you wait, the more enjoyment you get! It will come(but let it NOT be at the expense of my Colts!)

Oh.. and Curses to Pittsburgh and New England... BOOO HISSS!!!