Ironically, probably the most talked about portion of this episode is probably going to be the three second view of the Four Toed Statue (from behind) - but the real highlight of the episode for me is that it harkened back to Season One. After weeks of having a TON of mythology, storyline twists, and puzzling revelations - this week was a nice little episode focused on CHARACTERS, just like in Season One. As a result, there's not a ton to over-analyze this week. This will be short and sweet!
- Sawyer is flat out awesome. He's now hooked up with both Juliet and Kate (who does he think he is, the Bachelor? Topical!), proven that no mater how hard he tries to be a tough guy, deep down he's a softy and heroic leader.
- Thank God we can finally put to rest the ridiculous notion that Sawyer will become the four-toed statue. It appeared to be a traditional Egyptian-type statue, holding those Egyptian Crosses (with the loop at the top).
- Speaking of which, this was the same necklace that Amy kept from Paul. Also known as the Key of the
Nile, the Looped Tau Cross, and the Ansate Cross. It was an Ancient Egyptian symbol of life and fertility. Sometimes given a Latin name if it appears in specifically Christian contexts, such as the crux ansata ("handled cross"). Hmmm - is there some connection there?
- Alpert knew Sawyer in 1974. As I was wondering in the episode previews, what are the reprecussions of this once 2004 rolls around? Again, he knows that Sawyer will not die from 2004 until 2005 (when the skipping starts). I wonder how this affects the decisions that Alpert and the Others made in regards to dealing with our Survivors.
- Initially, when Alpert stormed into the Barracks, I thought "Oh God - Sawyer and Juliet are responsible for the Purge! They carried out the Purge as payback for two of their own getting shot!" But it seems like Alpert accepted taking the body of Paul as retribution... but what did they do with the body?
- Who is the baby that Juliet delivered this episode? Born in 1977, it would be someone aged 27 on the show. I'm racking my brain thinking of characters that apply, but no major characters are coming to mind.
- Since that baby was able to be born on the Island, time to open back up the theories that Ben somehow changed something on the Island - see my Cowboys and Indians theory! The Others got "out of touch" with the Island, and thus could no longer have babies!
- I'll say it before and I'll say it again - where have Rose / Bernard / Vincent been for the past three years?!
Regarding next week's episode (note: stop reading now if you don't want to know what we saw in the preview!)
- Sayid did skip back to 1977! That means only Sun, Ben, and Locke are in 2008, and all the rest of the Oceanic Six went back in time. Pretty cruel, fate - prety cruel.
No new episode next week (not sure why), so we've got a one-week breather. Also, after watching this episode, it turns out that some "Anonymous" poster got cute and spoiled the episode this week. I'm not sure how to combat that stuff from happening other than eliminating anonymous posts... so from now on, you have to fess up to your comments!
I predict pretty light discussions this week. Prove me wrong!